Time: 10:00 am til 12:00 pm
Location: Phillippi Estate Park, 5500 South Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
Description: Sarasota County Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources invites you to attend the dedication ceremony of our fifth and final Archaic Period Interpretive Panel at Phillippi Estate Park. The ceremony will take place outside next to the Edson Keith Mansion.
• Dr. Uzi Baram, professor of anthropology and director of New College Public Archaeology Lab
• Steve Koski, Sarasota County archaeologist
• View exhibits and displays by New College Public Archaeology Lab, Time Sifters Archaeology Society and
Florida Public Archaeology Network.
• Archaeologists will be on hand to explain the significance of displayed artifacts excavated on Phillippi Estate Park from the Manasota Culture, which dates back 2,500 years.
• Around the Bend Nature Tours will share their knowledge of Sarasota County’s natural cultural history including the use of ancient tools by Florida’s indigenous people.
• Try your hand at throwing the Atlatl, an ancient hunting weapon that predates the bow and arrow. Demonstrations of the Atlatl will be on the mansion lawn.
• Stroll the Prodie Shell Midden next to the mansion and enjoy reading the histo
FPAN is posting this event as a courtesy, we will neither be hosting nor attending this event.