In 1913 an impressive granite monument featuring a large obelisk and which stood a reported 24 feet tall was erected on the southeast corner of the grounds of the Dade County Courthouse. The monument, presented to the city by the Southern Cross Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC), was dedicated on the anniversary of Jefferson Davis' birthday, June 3, 1914.
This monument remained at this location until 1927, when planned demolitionof the 1904 courthouse and construction of a much larger building caused it to be relocated to Confederate Circle in the City of Miami Cemetery. Confederate Circle is a Confederate veterans plot reserved for the UDC. The granite obelisk was reportedly toppled and fractured in a subsequent hurricane, and was never replaced.
Either when it was relocated to the cemetery, or when it was repaired after the hurricane, the base (which is all that remains) was incorrectly reassembled. Originally, the front of the monument featured "CSA" over the Confederate Flag over "1861-1865, Our Heroes." Photos show that the Confederate flag now flies over the biblical verse.
For information on the Confederate veterans buried within Confederate Circle, please go to the section on Soldier and Veteran Plots.